Are you wondering why Louisiana grills are very popular among many pit masters? These wood pellet grills won’t disappoint when it comes to expert pellet grilling. Most people will agree that wood pellets are arguably the easiest fuel source to use. Do you want one for yourself?
We list the seven best Louisiana grills on the market. We understand that they’re all from the same manufacturer and have similarities in more ways than one. So how will you know which one to pick? If you’re not sure, go with our Editor’s choice – the Louisiana Grills 61100-LG1100 Pellet Grill. We consider it to be the best because not only does it have a large cooking area but it grills exceptionally well. Even if you’re not a pro at smoking, chances are that your meat will still come out perfect. But that’s just our opinion; make up your mind by comparing the rest of the products reviewed.
Top 7 Louisiana Grills Review 2020
We took the liberty to compare the major features on each product including the function, temperature, cooking area, hopper, dimensions and weight. All these specs are worth considering as they determine the product’s final performance and other factors. To make your selection process quick and easy, the features are clearly stated in an easy to read comparison table. We’ve also included comprehensive reviews of each product. We wrap up the article with a detailed buying guide that outlines everything you need to know about Louisiana grills. After reading through all that you’ll know exactly which model to buy.
This unit has an impressive 1061 sq in cooking capacity and its temperature range of 170Fᵒ to 600ᵒF allows you to cook different types of meats depending on your preferred cooking methodRead Our Review
This multifunctional dual chamber model offers 3106 sq in cooking capacity, 48000 BTUs and two large hoppers that are 40 lbs each in sizeRead Our Review
Louisiana Grills 61100-LG1100 LG 1100 Pellet Grill Editor’s Choice
- Function: direct and indirect grilling
- Temperature: 170°F – 600°F
- Cooking area: 1061 sq in
- Grids: porcelain-coated cast iron – main grids, porcelain-coatedsteel removable – upper cooking grid
- Hopper: 14 lbs
- Dimensions: 43.75 x 50.75 x 24 in
- Weight: 178 lbs
More features: 20700 BTUs; digital control center; automatic start up and cool down; full function programmable meat probe; propriety exhaust system; wheels
We start of our list with this Louisiana Grills 61100-LG1100 Pellet Grill which we’ve voted as our Editor’s choice. This cooking master has an impressive 1061 sq in cooking capacity. That’s enough for you to cook up a storm for a large group of people.
The upper rack is removable in case you want even more cooking space.
The versatility of this model allows for both direct and indirect grilling techniques. Whether you want sear, roast or bake, this model allows you to do just that.
Its temperature range of 170Fᵒ to 600ᵒF allows you to cook different types of meats depending on your preferred cooking method. Thanks to the digital control centre, you have total temperature control. Do you want to cook low and slow or you want your meat cooked up in a matter of minutes? This model allows you to do both.
Your meat will be cooked to perfection thanks to the meat probe included with the unit.
If you’re new to the world of smoking, you won’t have any difficulties using the grill because it’s easy to operate. You can cook almost anything from ribs and vegetables to burgers on this multipurpose grill. Plus, it’s fairly easy to assemble especially if done by two people.
The grids are made of porcelain which will guarantee you a non-sticking cooking surface.
Weighing 173lb you can tell that it’s a considerably heavy unit. But thankfully it has wheels that make it easy to move around.
The 14lb hopper is on the smaller side so you’ll have to check the pellets frequently.
Also, the paint on the grill starts peeling off over time, so make sure to take good care of your appliance.
- Non sticky surface
- Easy to use
- Easy to assemble
- Paint peels off
Louisiana Grills 60800 Best Value
- Function: direct and indirect grilling, broiling, baking, roasting, searing, smoking
- Temperature: 180°F – 600°F
- Cooking area: 807 sq in
- Grids: porcelain-coated cast iron
- Hopper: 21 lbs
- Dimensions: 48 x 57 x 23.5 in
- Weight: 189 lbs
More features: 48000 BTUs; digital control center; full function programmable meat probe; bezel dome thermometer; wheels
We’ve voted this model as our value pick because of the features it offers for the price.
The cooking area is slightly smaller than the model reviewed above, but it’s still large enough to accommodate plenty of meat at once.
Weighing just under 190 lb, it’s slightly heavier than the other models. But like most Louisiana grills it comes with wheels for mobility.
This unit is versatile and allows you to perform either direct or indirect cooking methods. Feel free to bake, smoke or sear food using this model.
You’ll appreciate how most of the components are made of stainless steel which allows for easy clean up. The grids are made of porcelain which makes the surface non-stick.
The high temperature powder coat finish improves heat retention for a more effective grilling process.
You’ll find this grill easy to use. You can control the temperatures with just the touch of a button. It also has a digital control centre that automatically controls the cooking temperatures during grilling.
This unit is easy to set up. Assembling can be done by one person.
Thanks to the relatively large 21 lb hopper, you don’t have to refuel the unit often.
Cooking on this grill is very easy and intuitive.
Unfortunately, some of the contents may arrive damaged. In some cases, some parts may arrive missing altogether. If this happens make use of the 90-day return policy.
- Multipurpose grill
- Easy to assemble
- Large cooking area
- Easy to use
- Poor packaging
- Missing parts
Louisiana Grills Kamado Budget Pick
- Function: grilling
- Temperature: 700F
- Cooking area: 96 sq in
- Grids: 304 stainless steel
- Hopper: –
- Dimensions: 13.8 x 16 x 21.6 in
- Weight: 54 lbs
More features: top/bottom damper vents; perfect for camping and tailgating; charcoal – fuel type
Are you running low on finances but still want a Louisiana grill? Pick this model which we’ve voted as our budget pick.
The low price tag fortunately doesn’t compromise the unit’s construction and performance. The exterior is made up of heavy duty ceramic while the sides are made of stainless steel. All in all, you’ll have a sturdy unit that’ll last long. Durability aside, the ceramic walls also aid in heat and moisture retention for an effective grilling process.
The only thing you may have to sacrifice for the low price is a large cooking space. It has a 96 sq in cooking surface which is smaller compared to the other models. But it’ll work just fine if the grill is simply meant for your small backyard family barbeques.
Because of the compact and portable design, this unit will also work best for camping and tailgating expeditions.
It’s one of the smallest and lightest models on our list which you’ll appreciate.
Though it’s small, the temperatures still go all the way up to 700ᵒF to allow you to cook different types of meats.
The grids are made of stainless steel which makes clean up a breeze.
This unit is specifically designed for grilling. It leaves food with a natural wood flavor.
It comes with a few extra features that you’ll find useful including top and bottom damper vents.
- Allows for heat retention
- Small cooking surface
Louisiana Grills Champion Pellet Grill Largest Cooking Area
- Function: direct and indirect grilling, hot smoking, cold smoking
- Temperature: 60°F-600°F
- Cooking area: 3432 sq in
- Grids: porcelain-coated cast-iron
- Hopper: 27 lbs
- Dimensions: 74.8 x 30.1 x 70.8 in
- Weight: 463 lbs
More features: 48000 BTUs; 9 cooking racks; high temperature powder-coated exterior finish; LG digital burn system; 6-inch locking caster wheels
If you host large groups of people often, then pick this grill which we consider to be the best Louisiana grills champion pellet grill. This cooking unit has an impressive 3432 sq in cooking surface which makes it the largest compared to the other products on our list. You can certainly cook plenty of meat at once. The 48000 BTU rating is powerful enough to handle the cooking demands of this unit.
Even though you’ll be cooking a lot of meat, you don’t have to worry about burning or overcooking. This grill is designed to control airflow via all chambers throughout the cooking process. Also, thanks to the exhaust system you can expect even grilling.
You’ll appreciate how this grill allows for both direct and indirect cooking. It also allows for hot and cold smoking giving you the liberty to cook almost any kind of food.
The racks are removable if you want even more cooking space.
Needless to say, this is one of the largest and heaviest units on our list. But the manufacturer included wheels for easy mobility. During the cooking process you can expect stability from the unit because the wheels feature a locking design.
For such a large grill, it follows that it needs an equally large hopper. The manufacturer added a 27 lb sized hopper to avoid the fuel from running out prematurely.
But because it’s huge it’ll take time to heat up.
Don’t let this powerful machine intimidate you if you’re new to grilling. You’ll find it easy to operate thanks to the push button igniter.
- Large cooking capacity
- Easy to use
- Takes time to heat up
Louisiana Grills LG-001000-1750 WH-1750 Best Dual Chamber Grill
Function: direct and indirect grilling, smoking
- Temperature: 180°F –500+°F
- Cooking area: 1750 sq in
- Grids: 304 stainless steel
- Hopper: 2 x 20lbs
- Dimensions: 82 x 26 x 46 in
- Weight: 437 lbs
More features: independent cooking chambers, burners and hoppers; removable divider; auto start electric igniter
Here we have another Louisiana grill that’s perfect for those large BBQ parties. With a 1700 sq in cooking surface, you can stack up lots of meat in one go.
But what’s unique about this grill is that it has dual chambers. This means dishes that require different cooking temperatures can be cooked simultaneously. The manufacturer included two sizeable hoppers to support this functionality. No need to check on your process every five minutes if you pick this unit. Depending on the food it can operate continuously for three hours.
You have the liberty to bake, sear, roast or grill food because it’s highly versatile.
The grids are made of stainless steel so you’ll find them easy to clean.
The temperature ranges are narrower compared to most models on this list. But they’re still adequate for cooking different kinds of meats to perfection.
Considering that it has two chambers, it’s not surprising how heavy this unit is. It’s one of the heavier models on our list but like most large Louisiana grills, it has wheels for easy transportation.
Overall this product has impressive specs, especially for the reasonable price tag. Our only concern is with the long delivery time frame after ordering replacement parts. You can wait for more than two months before receiving your items which is highly undesirable.
- Large cooking surface
- Dual chamber
- Easy to clean
- Long delivery time for replacement parts
Louisiana Grills LG-001000-1570 Country Smoker Best Portable Grill
- Function: grilling, smoking
- Temperature: 180°F –500+°F
- Cooking area: 570 sq in (including optional cooking rack)
- Grids: porcelain-coatedstainless steel
- Hopper: 12 lbs
- Dimensions: 42.25 x 24 x 45.75 in
- Weight: 147 lbs
More features: fan forced convection cooking system with a proprietary exhaust; digital control center; auto igniter
If you’re looking for a compact grill look no further than this Louisiana Grills LG-001000-1570 Country Smoker. For this reason, we’ve voted it as the best portable grill.
The 570 sq in cooking area isn’t as large as the other models. But it’s still large enough to cook for small family gatherings. The manufacturer did include an optional rack if you want more cooking space.
It’s a pretty versatile model that you can use for both grilling and smoking.
The unit features a 12 lb sized hopper which is powerful enough for the unit to perform effectively. But since the hopper is on the smaller side then you’ll have to continuously check on your food to avoid running out of fuel.
The temperature ranges are sufficient enough to allow you to cook different types of meat to perfection.
You’ll appreciate that it comes with an auto igniter to set your preferred cooking times.
Other useful extra features found on this model include a proprietary exhaust and digital control center. Your cooking temperatures will be maintained at the desired setting for the duration of the grilling process.
Unfortunately, the durability of the element and main control box is questionable. They may need to be replaced after a few months. Also, it won’t work well for long smoking methods.
The barrel tends to rust badly over time. Just be sure to maintain your unit properly to prevent this.
- Easy to use
- Not for long smoking
- Durability of certain components questionable
Louisiana Grills Country Super Hog Smokers, Wood Pellet Grill Best for Commercial Use
- Function: direct and indirect grilling, smoking
- Temperature: 180°F –600°F
- Cooking area: 3105 sq in
- Grids: 304 stainless steel
- Hopper: 2 x 40lbs
- Dimensions: 85 x 33.75 x 56 in
- Weight: 523 lbs
More features: 48.000 BTUs ;independent cooking chambers, burners and hoppers; dual full function programmable meat probes; removable divider; auto start electric igniter; industrial grade locking wheels
Here we have a Louisiana grill ideally suited for commercial use. This is largely owed to its impressive 3106 sq in capacity. You can cook plenty of food for your patrons at one go.
It weighs over 500 lb making it the heaviest unit on our list. But we’re sure this isn’t a deal breaker because the grill houses are less likely to move it around often. The manufacturer included industrial grade locking wheels to ensure that the grill stays securely in place.
For such a large unit it’s not surprising that it has a 48 000 BTU rating which makes it powerful.
The manufacturer also included two large hoppers that are 40 lbs each in size. Your staff members don’t have to spend their time refuelling the unit every now and again.
This multipurpose grill can be used for both direct and indirect grilling techniques to satisfy different customer requirements. You can use the unit to sear, roast or bake different kinds of food.
For such a large unit, it’s pretty simple to operate thanks to the easy-start button. The LED display screen is easy to read.
This grill has stainless steel grids that you’ll find easy to clean and maintain.
Even though it’s ideally suited for commercial use you can still use at home if you tend to host large parties regularly.
A few extra features found on this unit that you’ll find useful include the auto start and cool down function. You can program the grill to start cooking at your preferred time. Once food is done the temperature is automatically reduced to prevent burning.
- Easy to clean & maintain
- Simple to operate
- Two large hoppers
The reviews are in and it’s time to make a decision. If you’re still unsure which model to buy we’re certain the following buying guide will speed things along. Here we’ll discuss the ins and outs of Louisiana grills. We’ll also answer a few questions people usually have regarding these products.
Louisiana Grills Company and its grills
As stated earlier, the Louisiana Grills company specializes in the manufacturing of quality wood pellet grills. Their grills are widely sought after for the following:
- A solid construction. Made up of rugged, heavy duty materials, these grills are built with durability in mind.
- Thanks to the heavy duty gauge steel used in the products’ construction, heat retention is maximized for effective grilling.
- Impressive performance. If you’re not confident in your smoking skills, these grills allow you to smoke meat to perfection.
- Offering different sized grills that’ll suit any family size.
- Their versatility; you can decide to roast, sear, grill or bake using these grills.
Features to consider while choosing Louisiana Grills models
Granted, these products are all from the same manufacturer, but they do have differences that differentiate one model from the next. Keep your eyes glued to the following features when deciding which model to buy to avoid buyer’s remorse.
Different Louisiana grills offer varying functions which determine the grilling technique, heat source and food you cook. The grill you use determines the cooking location; do you want to cook indoors or outdoors?
Pick the grill that allows you to perform your preferred grilling method. Better yet, why not pick one that allows you to customize the unit depending on the food you’re grilling. Let’s have a look at the common functions found on these units:
- Direct heat grilling: This is the most basic form of grilling. As the name suggests, here you place your meat directly over heat for cooking. Note that the heat source can either be in the form of gas, wood or charcoal. With this method, heat is usually high and is ideally suited for searing your meat. Searing usually cooks meat for just a few minutes (30 to be exact) before it’s ready but this will depend on how thick the cuts are. Foods that particularly cook well with direct heat include steaks, chops and hamburgers.
- Indirect grilling: In this case you don’t place the food directly over the heat. Rather, your food is cooked with reflected heat. You also have to keep the lid covered for the most part. This method is best for cooking large pieces of meat. Do you want to cook a turkey for Thanksgiving dinner? Pick a Louisiana grill that allows for indirect heat grilling. Alternatively, you can pick a model that allows for both direct and indirect grilling such as the Louisiana Grills 61100-LG1100 LG 1100 Pellet Grill.
- Smoking: Smoking is done at low temperatures in a closed space. Plus, you can only do it outdoors. Here the heat source is either next to the food or in a different chamber. Opt for a grill with this function if you want tender and smoke flavored meat. A good example is the Louisiana Grills Country Super Hog Smokers, Wood Pellet Grill. With this method you have two options; cold or hot smoking. With cold smoking, food isn’t smoked with heat but with the air around it. Needless to say, this method is best left to the pros. When hot smoking, you’re basically using a grill that generates heat from either a charcoal base within the smoker or oven. Here the food is cooked and flavored with wood smoke at the same time.
- Baking: Do you want to bake your dishes? Some grills allow for baking but this can only be done using the indirect method. Bake your favorite foods, from pizzas to cupcakes, using a grill such as the Louisiana Grills 60800.
Just how hot does the grill get? Consider the temperature ranges on the grill as this affects the grilling method, the type of meat you’re cooking and the final flavor.
One model that has an impressive temperature range is the Louisiana Grills 61100-LG1100 LG 1100 Pellet Grill. The temperature ranges from 170ᵒF TO 600ᵒF.
When looking for the perfect Louisiana grill you need to consider the cooking area. Pick one that can accommodate your cooking needs. Will you be cooking for a large or small family? Do you host plenty of large gatherings or BBQs?
If you’ll be cooking for a large group of people then you need a grill with a large cooking area such as the Louisiana Grills Champion Pellet Grill. It has an impressive 3432in² capacity that allows you to cook large amounts of food at one go.
If you intend to cook for just your small family, you don’t have to waste money buying a grill with a large cooking area. One with a small cooking capacity like the Louisiana Grills Kamado will suffice.
What is the British Thermal Unit (BTU) rating of the grill? This basically measures the heat output of your grill. The BTU determines how quickly the grill heats up as well as maintains the cooking heat. The higher the BTU rating, the better, as this means that the grill is more powerful and efficient. The Louisiana Grills Country Super Hog Smokers, Wood Pellet Grill is one example that has a powerful 48000 BTU rating.
A grill that has a very low BTU rating takes too long to heat up, especially after you open or close the lid.
What are the grids on the grill made of? The material used in the grid’s construction is important as it determines strength, durability and performance. Most cooking grids are either made of cast iron, porcelain or stainless steel.
While these materials look different, bear in mind that the type you pick must be more than merely an aesthetic issue. Different metals have unique properties that react differently to heat which affects the cooking process. For example:
- Stainless steel: Stainless steel grids are durable and they’re also easy to clean & maintain. Note however that such material allows for lower heat retention. Plus, food is likely to stick on to the surface. The Louisiana Grills Country Super Hog Smokers, Wood Pellet Grill is one example that has stainless steel grids.
- Cast iron: Cast iron grids are very effective at heat retention. This makes them ideal for grilling at low temperatures. In addition, they’re reasonably priced and cost effective. Unfortunately, this type isn’t as sturdy and it’s high maintenance too. It needs to be cleaned regularly and tends to rust quickly if not maintained properly.
- Porcelain: If you want a non sticky cooking surface, pick a grill with porcelain grids such as the Louisiana Grills 61100-LG1100 LG 1100 Pellet Grill. However the trade off with porcelain grids is slow heat retention. Plus, they’re also high maintenance.
- A stay cool stainless handle to avoid finger burns
- High temp powder coat finish to increase heat retention
- Locking wheels to keep the unit sturdy
- Automatic start up and cool down
- Independent cooking chambers to cook different foods at one go for optimum cooking
- Meat probe that allows you to set your food’s finishing temperature.
- Adjustable flame broiler plate that allows you to switch between direct and indirect cooking.
- Removable racks such as those found on the Louisiana Grills 61100-LG1100 LG 1100 Pellet Grill. They allow you to expand the cooking area where necessary.
- Remove the grill gates and scrub them with a brush.
- Spray them with degreaser.
- Leave them to soak for a minute.
- Wipe and rinse with water.
- Vacuum the remaining loose debris in the interior.
- Spray the interior and exterior with degreaser and repeat the above mentioned steps.
- Fire up your grill up to 350ᵒF and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Spray the surface of the grill with high temperature oil such as canola or avocado oil. As the surface cools down the oils are sealed onto the grill.
- Remove pellets from the hopper.
- Turn on the grill for 15 minutes and leave the remaining pellets to burn down
The last thing you need to worry about when grilling is running out of fuel. This will depend on the size of the hopper.
The hopper is that section of your grill that stores your pellets. Its size and capacity will determine the amount of pellets it can hold which ultimately impacts the length of the cooking process. This size also affects how often you have to refill the pellets before your cooking process is done. If you’re hoping for long cooking time then you’ll need one with a large capacity such as The Louisiana Grills Country Super Hog Smokers, Wood Pellet Grill. It has two large grills.
Size, weight and shape
If you want a grill that you’ll use only for your small backyard barbeques, then a small grill like the Louisiana Grills Kamado is ideal. Will you be moving it around often? You need to consider the weight. A heavy grill such as the Louisiana Grills Country Super Hog Smokers, Wood Pellet Grill will be difficult to transport from one place to the next.
Pick a lightweight model if portability is your concern. In addition, you also want to consider the shape, depending on where you’ll place the unit.
You can pick between one with a rectangular or round chamber.
Ease of use
We’re certain you don’t want a grill that presents a huge learning curve. Opt for one that’s easy to use and has simple & intuitive controls. Some models like the Louisiana Grills 60800 only require a touch of a button to get things started and the grill automatically does the rest.
Some models have extra features incorporated which often push up the price. The idea is to buy a grill with features that you’ll actually use such as:
Ultimately your budget determines the unit you pick. But don’t settle for the cheapest grill because it may compromise performance. Case in point; it may have lower heat retention. The more expensive models are likely to offer more useful features that’ll make your cooking experience pleasurable.
Thankfully the Louisiana Grills company is confident in the quality of their products. As such they offer a standard five-year warranty on all their products, provided that they’re not subjected to abuse or misuse.
Louisiana Grills clean-up and maintenance
Just how hard can it be to clean a grill? It’s easy to assume that the process is straight forward, but it can end up being a real chore if you don’t know how to go about it. This is especially true when the process involves cleaning up grease, grime and rust!
Thankfully by following these tips, the process will be a breeze:
Yes, you can because the chamber is covered. Just make sure water doesn’t wet the pellets as this may jam the fuel feeding system.
Yes, they can also use charcoal depending on the model.
Feel free to buy covers, digital control boards, grill probe, grill igniter and a dome thermometer for your grill if it doesn’t already have.
And now for our top three picks. First up we have the Louisiana Grills 61100-LG1100 LG 1100 Pellet Grill which we’ve voted as our Editor’s pick. It’s both easy to assemble and use. Plus, it’ll grill your meat to perfection thanks to the meat probe included. We also appreciate the large cooking area. And we love its versatility that allows you to grill different kinds of meat.
For our best value pick, we’ll go with the Louisiana Grills 60800 which is also easy to assemble. You can use it for both direct and indirect cooking. In addition, it’s designed to automatically control the cooking temperature. You don’t have to tend to the grill throughout the cooking process.
We’ve voted the Louisiana Grills Kamado as our budget pick. For such an affordable unit, it’s very durable. It features a portable design and cleaning up the unit is hassle free.
From the list of best Louisiana grills reviewed here, which one are you buying?